Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Delegation & Planning

Labor Day weekend this year was full of lots of labor! Call me crazy, but we hosted my daughter's entire High School Cross Country team at our home for Pasta Dinner on Friday night... all 60+ of them!

To top it off, later that evening my sisters and their families arrived for a holiday weekend stay. We had 14 people eating, sleeping and playing in our house for 3 days!

Thanks to delegation and planning, all the festivities went off seamlessly.

Three weeks prior to the dinner, Renee Simon (another Cross Country mom) and I planned out the pasta meal and drafted a letter requesting food donations from the other cross country families. The coach distributed the letter and we had folks sign up to bring all the food we requested. I only had to make one phone call to twist someones arm to bring a dish of pasta. As the date approached, I sent out an email reminder or made telephone calls where we didn't have email addresses.

The food arrived as planned and the kids had a great time!

As for the rest of the weekend, my mom (who arrived on Wednesday) accompanied me to the grocery store on Thursday and we stockpiled food to feed the family that weekend. The weather was great, the kids played hard, the guys hit a round of golf and the girls got some shopping in.

The delegation and planning paid off, it was a great weekend. I even enjoyed a nap on Monday afternoon (the real labor day) after everyone left town!